Monday, March 2, 2009

Site Pictures and Sketch

Rather than just jumping into what I'm thinking about doing, I thought I should start by uploading the pictures I have of the site, and the plan sketch that I made. Figuring out what I need to do and what I want to do has been difficult. I know next to nothing about landscaping, and even building I know little. But I do know how to take pictures and make dumb panoramas in photoshop. Taking measurements of an existing space is still something I don't enjoy when I only have a 25' measuring tape but the sketch uploaded shows generally some measurements of the house, additions, driveways, and fence line. I intend over the course of 3 years to address the entire yard, but it looks like for now I have to refine my summer plans to building the shed and making the soil fertile again.

Without further ado:









Included is a picture of the dog, Princess, looking awkward on site. Also is a googleimages find that Spruce street is inaccurately located. I contacted them about it but for now it's still incorrect that I know of. You can also see the shed that currently is in place (it sucks) next to some silly phone pole. Dorothy's garden is a raised bed she takes great care of. The fence is falling apart in many places (rot), and there is a fire pit of concrete blocks. We have a LOT of rocks that have surfaced over the years - I wish they were large enough for a good foundation. Anyone who's curious - we have a septic tank and field, which I have a drawing of.

One question that I thought about is that I plan on and am designing a pretty exotic shed in comparison to how.. 70's the house is (check out the render I have of the house design, ugh). I can't do too much to change the exterior of the house, but I hope with the planting and small renovations I'm concocting this will all become seamless.

At the moment I am still researching Cob construction for the shed and am hesitant to show my sketchwork because I don't feel final about any of it. Maybe in the next post.

Spring break arrives in a week and I plan to use this time to find and visit a cob house/structure in massachusetts (If you know anyone...). I also will conduct a soil test and will have a picture of that to show what levels of clay/sand/silt/rock are in my soil. I have a feeling based on my memory of mud pies that there is enough clay and sand that I won't have to order too much of either, just more dirt in general.

I also will figure out what needs to be done landscaping-wise. Realistically I want the entire yard to be fertile for gardening for food and flowers, but because construction is going to keep occuring, I think I have to put it to the side and only grow something that will bring nutrients back into the soil. I've been recommended clover to do the job. Any commentors should add their two cents on this especially!

There you have it, Mom, what I've been doing the past few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment