Sunday, March 15, 2009

end of break

I'm sitting thinking about how it's the end of spring break and I'm not sure I used my time as best I could. My arms are sore, though. I moved a lot of things and took a lot of inventory and talked a lot.
I didn't sketch at all, but I thought a lot.

My parents might have found someone to finish off the porch and possibly someone to put the washer and dryer on the first level (things from the addition that didn't get finished.) Good news, and mom also talked about getting someone here to remove dirt from around the foundation. I took that as 'I need to get the stuff out of the shed asap' and found out all of the stuff that's in the shed. I found that we have a lot of tools, tarps, and scrap construction material that will benefit the new shed. It will also be a lot easier to remove the stuff now that needs to go, when we demolish/break down the shed. Then the dirt from around the yard can be moved and I can start growing clover and making cob.

The hardest thing to wrap my mind around is the roof. I spent some time talking to a builder the other day who entertained my project and we came to some conclusions. I probably should have the roof hold it's own weight, and I shouldn't give up my dream of a green roof. I know then what I want it to look like but I have NO idea how to design it to the loads, or calculate that, etc. I'd have to do that with someone, and I guess soon, as the roof and foundaton would be built first.

I also am reconsidering doing concrete for the foundation. It might be best to lay stones, although I'm not too excited about it. Mostly I hate the fact that I have to go down 5 feet to hit the frost line. I don't want to build the foundation :) Our yard is so rocky that it's going to be hard to dig that far. I'll get an answer to what I should do about the foundation/floor later, especially the floor, as that'll be one of the last things I do.

So my update really is just about some thoughts, and I don't have anything to show yet. I did go to the http://www.nesea.org/ Nesea trade show on thursday which tired me out but I got to see and speak to a lot of people about green ideas, including cob construction. I also bought some books and got to have coffee in the north end.

Hopefully the next time I update, the old shed will be GONE.

No comments:

Post a Comment