Tuesday, June 29, 2010

We'll start with the oven!

A while ago (now) I finally got around to firing my oven. This required only a small amount of fire wood that I had sawn down into manageable chunks, though I will recommend even smaller firewood bits and strips to get the fire started if you have a tiny oven such as mine. I will also go ahead and say that it took a bit for the oven to be fully fired and dry to hold a strong temperature. You really need to fire that baby for a few hours! Onto the photos and the times it took to cook the two pizzas and muffins.


The pizzas were the first experiments, and at first I had not waited long enough for the oven temperature to level out (because it hadn't fired enough.) It took a bit of fiddling to get the pizza's to cook but after trying leaving a fire going inside and letting it fire longer, we had success.



In the end we found that, once at temperature (500-400 degrees Fahrenheit) the oven can cook an east side cheese/topping pizza in 15 minutes. Our corn muffins cooked in 20 minutes which is the time it takes in a conventional oven. Everything had a wonderful crust and very light smoke taste to it and a lot of moisture. We look forward to the fire dept allowing us to cook the oven again and a more successful firing(at least faster!)



---------------------
The pizza was donated to us by East Side Pizza from East Taunton, MA. If you are ever in the area, give them a call - (508) 821-5969 . They are like family to us. My mother and brother aided in bringing food, set up, and of course eating. Thank you Paul and massart for allowing me to be a bit crazy in your courtyard. Next up - updates on my foundation with measurements and plans for the cobbing!

No comments:

Post a Comment